Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Madangsui

Turn back the calendar to... November 19, 2007, Monday.

During my "escape" to the US a couple of months ago, i vowed that i'd try different types of cuisine while i was there. After all, NYC has everything. After our trip to MoMA and Top of the Rock (which has a better, uninhibited view of the City than Empire State, by the way), my cousin eD and I saw MadangSui while walking down a street filled with Korean restos -- a brightly-lit establishment with modern furnishings. They seated us on a table with a stove -- which infuriated me at first, since I loathe shabu-shabu. But, much to my pleasant surprise, it was for barbeque. :)

What do i like about Korean food? It's the various mini-bowls of side dishes that come with your entree, and the sharp contrasts with the flavors... One dish has a bland/mild taste to it, the others are tart, and most are red-pepper spicy. Yumm.
I'm used to Korean restos in Manila serving 2-4 small bowls of side dishes. I was overwhelmed at MadangSui.

There were sooo many bowls, i couldn't fit them into my photo! Actually, with this amount of side dishes, you don't need to get an entree! But we did. We got that beef barbeque thing -- the meat was cooked just right, the juices were sizzling on the grill, perfect! I got another dish, something that i usually get here at home -- Soondooboo Chigae (uncurdled bean curd with seafood, a spicy hotpot dish). It wasn't good at all -- you couldn't taste the seafood flavors because of the gazillions of egg that they put in.

I was a wee-bit guilty with what i spent in this place (a whopping $85 for two people)... but the barbeque and side dishes galore saved the day.


Madangsui
Korean, Barbecue

35 W 35th St, New York 10001
Between 5th & 6th Ave

Phone: 212-564-9333

Additional info courtesy of www.menupages.com


View Madangsui in a larger map

No comments: